What awaits you in the Master of Education

This degree course prepares you for a career as a physics teacher at grammar schools and comprehensive schools. Similar to the 2-subject Bachelor's degree in Physics, you will study two subjects in parallel in the Master of Education, supplemented by an educational focus. In addition, there is the practical semester, in which you gain practical experience at a school under supervision for one semester.

In addition to supplementing and deepening academic content, the course focuses on teaching didactic, methodological and pedagogical skills. The Master of Education degree is obtained after four semesters with course-related examinations and a Master's thesis and is recognized as equivalent to the First State Examination.

Of course, there is also the possibility of a doctorate after this course.

Practical learning

If you don't want to wait until your practical semester or traineeship to gain practical school experience, the Alfried Krupp Student Laboratory of Science as an interface between school and university offers an ideal testing ground for prospective physics teachers. Under didactic guidance, students teach school classes in physics-specific projects. The Alfried Krupp School Lab offers pupils the opportunity to touch, try out and understand scientific research.

Train well - teach well

Ruhr-Universität Bochum offers students on the Master of Education a high-quality teacher training program. Under the umbrella of the Professional School of Education (PSE) combines teacher training and educational research. In close cooperation with the faculties, the PSE coordinates teacher training in the Master of Education and develops it further on a research basis together with its internal and external partners.

Pictures: Damian Gorczany

FAQ Master of Education

I have a Bachelor of Science degree, can I still enter the Master of Education program?

At RUB, the regulations are flexible, so that under certain conditions it is possible to enter the Master of Education program with a Bachelor of Science degree and the Master of Science program with a Bachelor of Arts degree. The Student Advisory Service can answer any questions you may have.

When can I complete my internship semester?

The practical semester in physics can only be completed in the winter semester (beginning after the summer semester break). Please note that you must complete the practical semester in parallel with your other teacher training course.

Can I already earn credits for the Master of Education during my preliminary studies?

In principle, you must be enrolled in the Master of Education in order to be able to complete coursework for the program. This also applies to the subject of physics. However, there is an exception here: coursework from the module "Fachliche Vertiefung" can already be completed in the preliminary studies (lecture, exercise and up to 6 FP attempts). However, the final module examination (2 CP) can only be taken after enrolment in the Master of Education in Physics.

All degree programs at our faculty are admission-free, however, special deadlines apply if your second subject is admission-restricted - please inform yourself in good time.

Where can I get more information about enrollment?

Further information on enrollment can be found here.

Who can I contact if I have further questions?

If you have any further questions, please contact our study advisor Dr. Wackermann.

Subject Advisory Service Master of Education

Dr. Marco Seiter

Dr. Marco Seiter

Counselling Teacher Training/Master of Education

NB 3/127
Phone: +49 234 32 23638



Cookie Consent with Real Cookie Banner